Friday 28 October 2011

O'Higgins ahead in Irish presidental election.

Left-wing, gay Labour candidate, Michael D O'Higgins, seems to have come from behind and now seems to be leading O'Gallagher, the Dragon's Den candidate in the battle for the position of President of Ireland. The election was yesterday under PR and a final result is expected late tonight.  The Sinn Fein candidate, Martin MacGuinness is also doing well according to the tallymen, with 29% in Dublin. His second preferences will probably decide the matter. They should go massively to the Labour candidate.


O'Higgins is also a poet. Here is one of his poems:

"When Will My Time Come"


When will my time come for scenery

And will it be too late?

After all

Decades ago I was never able

To get excited

About filling the lungs with ozone

On Salthill Prom.



And when the strangers

To whom I gave a lift

Spoke to me of the extraordinary

Light in the Western sky;

I often missed its changes.

And, later, when words were required

To intervene at the opening of Art Exhibitions,

It was not the same.



What is this tyranny of head that stifles

The eyes, the senses,

All play on the strings of the heart.



And, if there is a healing,

It is in the depth of a silence,

Whose plumbed depths require

A journey through realms of pain

That must be faced alone.

The hero, setting out,

Will meet an ally at a crucial moment.

But the journey home

Is mostly alone.



When my time comes

I will have made my journey

And through all my senses will explode

The evidence of light

And air and water, fire and earth.


I live for that moment.

No comments: